*October 1st*

Few of us are entirely free from a sense of guilt. We may be remorseful because of our words or actions or for things left undone. We may even feel guilty because of irrational or false accusations by someone acting selfishly in our family.

Yet, when I am troubled by a feeling of guilt, I cannot put into my day all I am capable of doing. I must rid myself of this guilt, not by pushing it inside, but by identifying the reason for it, and correcting the cause.

Free of this weight, I can put my all into my day's work and spiritual growth. Then I will have something worthwhile to give others, instead of concentrating on my own frustrations.

Today's Reminder
I will refuse to be troubled by an uneasy sense of guilt. I will track my feelings of guilt to its source, then make good any harm I have done. I will be most careful not to whitewash such feelings with self-justification and self-righteousness. That would only hamper everything I am trying to accomplish for the good of myself and others

"Keep yourself first in peace and then you will be able to bring others to peace. Have, therefore, a zeal in the first place over yourself ...".

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue MA, MFTI]

No comments: