*September 7th*

We should not come to the Parent Team intervention and counseling meetings to look for pity. It never helps us to expect our counselor or fellow parent team members to assure us that our resentments are justified or that we ought to take aggressive action in the events of our lives.

Indeed, we learn to resist aggression from others by maintaining our dignity and poise. In short, what the program does for us, through professional counseling and the program's fellow parent participants, is to help us "change the way we look at our family problems." Recognizing more effectively how, "Every problem is an opportunity", and so on.)

If I complain about something another person has done in my family, I might receive constructive feedback as to what I can do in the future to both improve my own attitude, then respond in acts of wisdom in the roles I represent in my family.

Today's Reminder
Parent Team meetings can be inspiring, interesting, enlightening, and even fun. But they are also dedicated to the serious business of making me into a confident, spiritually-oriented adult human being. If that is what I want, I will listen with an open mind, accept suggestions and put to good use what I learn.

"I pray to let nothing stand in the way of my learning about myself. This how I will truly grow in the process. This will become the foundational means where by I can positively influence the ones that I love."

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI]

No comments: