*September 5th*

I went to counseling and parent team meetings, as many of us do, with an overwhelming desire to pour out my troubles, to talk, talk, talk. It was like a dammed up river that suddenly burst its banks. And, although it gave me some relief, it left behind an emptiness, a certain dissatisfaction.

Then one day I realized why this was. When I talk all the time, nothing new is being added to me. I am using the same old destructive thought material that has kept me at a standstill for so long.

To absorb new ideas, I keep my lips closed and my ears open. I spend more of my time listening, as well as listening to audio assignments and watching videos that are recommended to me for assignments. I find all this gives me new perspectives on my problems, so that solutions come more easily.

Today's Reminder
The meetings I attend, and the assignments given to me, are a wellspring of helpful thoughts; if I don't listen to them, I will not receive the benefits that could greatly help me. Constant talking could deprive me of the help I am seeking.

"I pray to be reminded that the counseling and group meetings I attend can provide important gifts for me. I can receive them only by speaking reasonably regarding myself, then hold my peace and letting others talk."

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time With Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI (2-10)]

No comments: