*September 26th*

The great danger of allowing resentment in our minds and hearts is that it often leads to retaliation. We feel justified in "evening up the score" and "paying others back" for what they have done to us.

But how can I logically punish someone for what he or she did to me when I cannot fathom the motives of another person? Maybe the hurt was not intended. Possibly I am over-sensitive. Either way, the behavior is the other person's and not mine. It is said that we remedy our wrongs of the past by overlooking the wrongs of others in the present. Only then, when we are right, can we continue to hold truth in the right way.

Today's Reminder
When I make my decisions to act in response to others, it is vital that I do so absent out-of-control frustration and anger. The occasion of judgment is for God alone. "Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord." Therefore any attempt at retaliation for an injury can only produce poor circumstances for me.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments. There are only consequences." (Robert G. Ingersoll)

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI]

No comments: