*September 11th*

Occasionally in discussions I hear talk of grievances and fights between family members. It can be descriptions of arguments with spouses as well as with kids. One person put it like this: "I've often wondered when I start a battle in my home, how I'd feel if somebody were recording what I was saying, and the tone of voice I was using to say it. I'd be screeching and shouting. I'd bring up all my weapons of sarcasm and lash out." ... "Wouldn't I feel pretty cheap if I could ‘hear myself' being played back?" ... "Wouldn't it give me some idea of my part in my family's problems!"

Note that the word "sarcasm" comes from the Greek for "tearing of flesh."

Please, please, let us "listen to ourselves" and see if it doesn't help us cool off!"

Today's Reminder
I will from now on take note of how disagreements start in my home. If I am the instigator, this is the first thing I will try to correct in myself. If I am challenged by an angry person, I will respond quietly or not at all.

"A soft answer turneth away wrath, but grievous words stir up anger." (Proverbs)

No comments: