*September 8th*

We who have chosen our life partners from the ranks of people who have suffered abuse and acted in ways that are harmful in their lives, often feel our lives in turn are especially difficult and complicated. Often our situations are further complicated with children who are unruly as well. We come to believe, quite mistakenly, that we're the only people in the world with real trouble! Let us recognize that the one doing wrong in our lives, be it a husband, a wife or a child, is, in that behavior, insecure, lonely, and often too sensitive to life's realities. - Usually he or she has many endearing qualities to appreciate. Indeed, many of us wouldn't want to exchange these, our family members, for a less interesting person in their place!

Today's Reminder
In the counseling, teaching, videos and meetings I'm experiencing, I discover in myself the power to throw new light on a seemingly hopeless situation. I learn I must use what I am learning, not to "be better" than the people around me, but to use what I am learning to focus on overcoming my own distorted ideas and attitudes. If I can bring sunshine into my home, it cannot fail to positively affect those in it.

"God, help me to use the gifts You have given me. I want to use them to help others through making my own world better and brighter."

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI]

No comments: