*November 7th*


It is really a pity we cannot go to a market and buy ourselves a big chunk of "sense of humor" just as we would buy a package of yeast. They do about the same kind of thing. Yeast gives lightness and pleasant texture and taste to bread. A bit of humor works to lighten the heavy seriousness of our daily living, and the small or great trials and rough spots placed before us by those in our families.

Today's Reminder
I want to remember, every time I'm tempted to take a heavy, somber view of a situation, that it may not be so bad after all. Maybe, if I look closely, the incident may have an element of absurdity or even a relieving silliness. My mood makes the matter look black, when I could instead spark it with a dash of rosy pink.

I'll try to look for the things that can add humor to my life to offset the things that are solemn or troubling. I'll cultivate a knack for recognizing and enjoying humourous moments. This could be a constructive way of detaching my mind from my daily difficulties, and see that many events are not as negative as they initially appear.

"It is usually anxiety that bars us from seeing the lighter, brighter things of life. That anxiety exists in ourselves. Because of this, we have means to reject negativity's influence on the way we react to what happens around us."

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI /
Supervisor: Peter Mosgofian, MA, MFT ]

No comments: