*August 12th*

It is difficult to overcome the habit of setting standards for our spouses, and expecting them to be followed, then correctly set standards for our children, and rightfully expect them to be followed. Being a "parent" places you in that position of responsibility. But when our acting-out child is in a program of recovery, we rely on the assistance of a Parent Team.

I must teach myself to leave my partner to God, and that God will also help me parent my children effectively with the help of others. In this process, I will also learn not to expect or demand. I will look for, and appreciate, my spouse and childrens’ positive and desirable actions, and not concentrate on the negative. I must, in other words, do something constructive about my own attitude.

Today’s Reminder
I will not look for perfection in another person until I have attained perfection myself. Since I know this will never be, let me learn to accept things as they are, and stop manipulating them into changing. Let me look for a wiser approach to life "from myself", not from other people.

"Thou must learn to renounce thy own will in many things, if thou wilt keep peace and concord with others." (Thomas A’Kempis)

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon" by Jim Hogue, MFTI, 8-12.]

No comments: