*August 14th*

When a rebellious teenager is fighting parents or using drugs, by the activity of teamwork intervention the teenager will finally hit bottom. The idea, however, while we're in the program, we manage and dicide consequences that will be less cruel to the child, compared to what will happen to the child if we do nothing, and our kid faces life in his or her present condition. (As a team, we take charge of my child's environment, and see that he or she creates coping skills for life "now", not "later", while the parent still has parental control.)

Yet, because of the trauma related to a yelling, defiant kid in the home, at least for a period of time, all in the home can be a bit neurotic! Thus, the family's participation in the teamwork intervention program, is a chance for growth for the entire family, not only that one child.

When my kid improves, becomes "reasonable" again, I will be ready because I as a parent will have gotten better as well. This will be accomplished by doing the Daily Reading, responding to counseling, and take full advantage of healthy feedback from others.

Today's Reminder
Although I know now that I was never responsible for my child's unruly behavior, when my child "is" changing in response to an intensive "team-dynamic" program, I must remember to be changing as well.

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
by Jim Hogue, MFTI, 8-14.]

No comments: