*August 23rd*

It is good to learn with other parents that we can "let go" of the past. We "wish" we had done some things better in the past. We "wish" we had not said certain things at certain times to certain people under certain conditions. We all feel this way to some extent. Now we must look to the present, and do what we are learning we can do now. The rest we leave to God in His love and mercy. We must not put forth our "martyr-face". Perhaps I do this sometimes, and I must do all I can to change this.

Today's Reminder
Do I habitually wear my martyr-face to remind my spouse and children what are hard time they've given me? Or do I try to lift their spirits - already so depressed by guilt and confusion? Will I improve to be pleasant and positive, even when things aren't going my way? Am I afraid to let those around me know I do have reasons to be happy, or do I want others to feel sorry for me?

"... that thou art happy, thou owest to God; that thou continuest such, thou owest to thyself." (John Milton: "Paradise Lost")

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time" of Al-Anon" for the "Parent Team Intervention Program" by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI, 8-23.]

No comments: