*August 18th*

Some of us parents have had long lists of grievances against our children, spouse and other people. A lot of this came from what some of us grew up under. The worst possible thing we can do is to remember these grievances and dwell on them. You know, "polish up our halos of martyrdom." The very best we can do is to erase them from memory, so each new day becomes an opportunity to make things better. In this way, we will find greater strength each moment to positively effect what "does" happen.

Beyond the normal important role and activities of parenting, in my heart, it is not my assignment to keep an inventory of my children and spouse’s faults and misbehaviors for the purpose of holding feelings of bitterness against them. Instead my task is to watch for my own and root them out, so that what I say and do will help to make things better for me and for my family.

Today’s Reminder
Storing up grievances is more than a waste of time; it’s a waste of life that could be lived to greater satisfaction. If I keep a record of oppressions and indignities in my heart, I am restoring them to painful reality.

I’m finding the things I’ve had against people are surprisingly easy to forget, once I practice living one day at a time and examine myself with the voice of my own conscience.

"The horror of that moment," the King said, "I shall never, never forget." ... "You will, though," said the Queen, "if you don’t make a memorandum of it." (Lewis Carroll: "Through the Looking Glass")

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time" of Alinon, for August 18th, by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must remember to keep working on this !