*October 8th*

You can help yourself, no matter how great your burdens and troubles are. You might think: "Easy to say, but you don't know what "I'm" going through!"

Applying a little sensible realism to this, let me ask myself whether I'm not building up trifles into monstrosities that "seem" unbearable. Most of us do, at some time or other. We may magnify disagreements about money for instance. We expand minor slights into huge grievances. Without realizing it, we're looking for trouble and are ready to fasten onto little things that we could easily pass over if we really wanted our own peace of mind.

Today's Reminder
If I don't make big problems out of little ones, I can save myself much grief. Fighting for my "rights" often creates more difficulty than accepting less than I expect. If I really value my serenity, I will avoid making big issues out of small ones. Giving in, and letting go, becomes easier as I practice it, and it pays big dividends in my own inner satisfaction.

"Why are you troubled because things do not succeed with you according to your desire? Who is there who has all things according to his will? Neither I, nor you, nor any man upon earth."
(Thomas A'Kempis)


[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI]

No comments: